I picked this little sewing stool up at an estate sale. It was in desperate need of a good cleaning and a makeover. I had read about using Citrasolv orange cleaner to transfer an image from paper to cloth on the Ticking and Toile blog and decided to try it. However, I couldn't find Citrasolv in my area so while I waited for my order to arrive, I tried an iron-on transfer.
Here is the little stool before. I gave her a good cleaning and then taped off the legs and sprayed the metal feet with Rustoleum's Dark Bronze srpay paint.
I painted the legs and apron black.
Next, I bought and washed a drop cloth, cut to size and made a printable iron-on transfer with a graphic I found on the Graphic Fairy's website. It was pretty but not the look I wanted! It was very apparent that it was an iron-on transfer and a little bit of the edge was lifting up. I tried to iron it down and ended up melting part of the transfer! I took the fabric off and threw it away and patiently waited for my Citrasolv to arrive! Here is the Iron-on transfer before I melted it.
After the Citrasolv arrived I tried (and tried!) again. It took me several trips to the office supply stores to get a toner based copy that would work. I finally found one at Kinko's. I had several copies made so I could practice first. It takes lots and lots of rubbing to transfer the image. But, don't rub too hard or you tear the paper! The final outcome is lighter than the iron-on transfer but it looks like a vintage piece of material and that was the look I was going for!
I listed her on Craigslist and she sold within 2 days. A sweet lady bought her to put at her little girl's vanity.
I've joined Debbiedoos Newbie Blog Party!!!